Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to make a special breakfast for the special people in your life, especially this year, as Valentine’s Day falls on a Saturday, leaving you time to sleep in and create a yummy breakfast. Red and pink heart shaped pancakes are the perfect breakfast because they’re super cute but incredibly easy to make.
First, gather all your ingredients. You’ll need:
- Instant Pancake Mix – my favorite is Bisquick, which is available at all major grocers – and the necessary mix-in(s), which is usually just water
- Red food coloring
- Heart shaped cookie cutters
Making these yummy breakfast treats is super simple! Here’s how:
- Heat up your griddle or frying pan, which ever you prefer.
- Mix up the batter for your pancakes, as you would normally do.
- Add red food coloring to the batter. If you want to make red and pink pancakes divide the batter in half and add the desired amount of food coloring to each half to make the colors you want.
- Take a large Ziploc bag and pour the batter in. If you made two colors of batter, you will need to pour them into separate bags.
- Place your cookie cutters on the griddle or in the frying pan.
- Cut the corner of the Ziploc bag(s) and carefully squeeze the batter into the cookie cutters.
- Let the batter cook on the griddle or in the frying pan. When the one side is completely cooked, which is usually when the batter stops bubbling, take off the cookie cutter and flip the pancake over. Make sure the batter is cooked before removing the cookie cutter or the batter will run and distort the shape.
- Once the pancakes are completely cooked, take them off the stove and put them on a plate and garish as desired. I love butter and whipped cream on my pancakes.
If you’re in the mood to make your heart pancakes extra special (and extra yummy) add some M&Ms! Before removing the cookie cutter and flipping your pancake, sprinkle some M&Ms onto the uncooked side of the batter. You get extra festivity points if you use red, pink, and white Valentine’s M&M’s, which are available in stores for the season.
Bacon is the perfect side to any breakfast. You can take the bacon and place it at the bottom of your heart pancakes in order to “heart-shaped balloon” pancakes, which your kids are sure to enjoy!
You can make mini heart pancakes and serve them at a Valentine’s brunch or party. Who doesn’t love a make-your-own pancake station?